Message Board
Register

Re: I half-agree with you ...

Posted by Tricob on .
Yes, the newer machine is quad-core processor with a good 8 GB of RAM. It's run Windows 7 before, but I was locked out of Administrator mode, and I was having endless problems all the time.

My biggest gripe with Ubuntu is the lack of support for Midi playback. Most Windows programs that playback Midi content assume the Midi driver is already installed. With Ubuntu, this isn't the case ... even when running the WINE emulator.

Lastly, I've tried Windows 8 releases, and it's one of the fastest OSs MS has released in the past 10 years. That being said, the GUI is horrendous. You have to go through many, many steps to do very simple things, and if you make one wrong step, you have to start over from the beginning. It's aimed at appealing to one type of user only, and no one else. And those users are engineers. No, not software engineers - hardware engineers.

- Tricob.

"Glass Tiger for life! "

In reply to: Re: I half-agree with you ... posted by jesusjanitor on .
Ah I see. I was assuing it was a system that wouldn't be able to run run a new version of Windows. Newer versions are a lot more system intensive than XP, the size of the hard-disk being the least of your worries.. Make sure you have a powerful enough CPU and enough RAM at least, and a decent video card. I've also heard Windows 8.1 actually runs better than 7 on equivilant machines.

I've had very little problems running windows programs on Ubuntu. I actually use the WIN version of pcsx-r because for some reason it seems to run better on Ubunutu than it does on Windows.