Manual Project Board
Register

Re: All fixed

Posted by Ketchup on .
Thanks. I am now able to upload much larger size manuals. I have been scanning everything at 150 dpi, but even then, Gamecube manuals tend to clock in at around 90 mb. I have also noticed that with glossier manuals, such as N64, PSX, and Gamecube, there is some wavy distortion visible at higher magnification. This was not a problem with the less-glossy SNES and GB manuals I uploaded. My theory is that even though the printed manuals themselves probably contain only thousands of colors, the glossiness creates refraction, resulting in unnatural colors reflected. Indeed, when I scan at billions vs. millions of colors, the problem is somewhat ameliorated. However, when scanning at billions of colors, I am forced to save the files in some sort of 8 bit png compression that yields images appearing at lower resolution than 150 dpi. Compare my manual scans for FF IV Advance vs. FF I & II: Dawn of Souls. The former was scanned at millions of colors. At high mag, there is apparent color distortion, but it is still possible to read some of the screenshot text. The latter was scanned in billions of colors, and saved with the mandatory 8 bit png compression. At higher mag, there is less color distortion apparent, but the screenshots are too blurry to read. I have tried scanning using both an old HP PSC 1600 series and newer HP Deskjet F4400 series, with similar results. I am using Snow Leopard, and thus forced to scan using Preview, and as far as I know, there is no special setting for glossy paper. However, I am able to run the HP scan software in Vista if you have any suggestions.

In reply to: All fixed posted by Vimm on .
It should be working now. Turns out IIS7 has a hidden 30MB upload limit, so I've bumped it up to 200MB. Once set I was able to upload a 300 dpi scan of Mega Man X6 which weighed in at 47MB.

Replies:
Scanning
Vimm -- 4/23/2010 12:29 pm UTC
Re: Scanning
Ketchup -- 5/30/2010 2:37 am UTC
Updates
Vimm -- 6/1/2010 6:59 pm UTC
Re: Scanning
Vimm -- 6/1/2010 5:41 pm UTC