Miscellaneous Board
Register

Re: Looking for fast paced 2D platformers...

Posted by Tarbolde on .
Wow, Vectorman was my top choice owing to his ability to jump a second time while already in the middle of a jump. Some interesting levels, too (Level 2 is an early example). Highly recommended.

The tight criteria eliminated most of my picks. I'll add these based on their requiring precise jumping:

Ninja Gaiden 1-3 (NES) - smooth control, high degree of difficulty.

Wizards and Warriors 1&3, Ironsword: W&W2 (NES) - potions, Boots of Levitation and the Feather of Featherfall allow higher jumps and smooth descent.

Pitfall II: Lost Caverns (Atari 2600) - oldschool.

>"The Adventures Of Batman and Robin"... is exactly the direction platform games should have gone, IMO.

Tricob, would you expand on that? I played the game to completion on Genesis over a decade ago and thought it was great, especially some of the Batwing action. Intense stuff.

-Tarbolde

In reply to: Re: Looking for fast paced 2D platformers... posted by Tricob on .
For games not suggested, I'd recommend "Zero The Kamikaze Squirrel", Genesis version. It's more like a cartoon than any other non-3D platformer I've ever seen.

The best NES platform game not listed - yet still matches your description - is "Darkman". Aside from a very annoying Level 2, I really enjoyed what I've played of this one.

I might also recommend the two Genesis games from the "Vectorman" series.

"Universal Soldier" is good in both the SNES and Genesis versions. Whichever one you like better really depends on personal preference.

Lastly, I'd recommend "The Adventures Of Batman and Robin". This platformer is exactly the direction platform games should have gone, IMO. Be prepared for terrible, terrible music, though. :-)

- Tricob.

Replies:
Re: Looking for fast paced 2D platformers...
Tricob -- 5/15/2011 10:51 pm UTC