Miscellaneous Board
Register

Re: Looking for fast paced 2D platformers...

Posted by Tricob on .
Re: Adv. Of Batman and Robin. What I meant was, the platformer used a 3D engine, but not a first-person perspective. So there were far less restraints for how the game could be played. The scrolling shooter "Air Hawk" series took a similar approach.

- Tricob.

"Glass Tiger for life! "

In reply to: Re: Looking for fast paced 2D platformers... posted by Tarbolde on .
Wow, Vectorman was my top choice owing to his ability to jump a second time while already in the middle of a jump. Some interesting levels, too (Level 2 is an early example). Highly recommended.

The tight criteria eliminated most of my picks. I'll add these based on their requiring precise jumping:

Ninja Gaiden 1-3 (NES) - smooth control, high degree of difficulty.

Wizards and Warriors 1&3, Ironsword: W&W2 (NES) - potions, Boots of Levitation and the Feather of Featherfall allow higher jumps and smooth descent.

Pitfall II: Lost Caverns (Atari 2600) - oldschool.

>"The Adventures Of Batman and Robin"... is exactly the direction platform games should have gone, IMO.

Tricob, would you expand on that? I played the game to completion on Genesis over a decade ago and thought it was great, especially some of the Batwing action. Intense stuff.

-Tarbolde