Message Board
Register

Re: I half-agree with you ...

Posted by Tricob on .
Well, I'm going to be installing Windows 7 on the bigger harddisk. The smaller harddisk will be running on a hand-me-down Dell machine.

Having tried Ubuntu, it runs most of what I need ... expect a compiler that makes Windows-based EXEs, and a Midi composer that's simple enough. I've avoided Ubuntu variations at this point simply because not as many programs support it. I remember running KUbuntu, and it had but a fraction of what Ubuntu offered.

Windows XP still has a considerable portion of users at this point in time, but it's not the majority anymore; Windows 7 is. Win7 has about twice as many users, and I'd expect that OS to be the target of most hacker attempts.

From what I can tell, MS has done very little over the years to improve the security of the WinXP system itself, or any OS, for that matter. Instead, they tack on additional programs and have the OS run them. I can see how MS would find this easier to do, as communication is extremely poor on how the OS is written. It's easier to write a standalone program the OS runs than it is to make massive changes to the system itself.

- Tricob.

"Glass Tiger for life! "

In reply to: Re: I half-agree with you ... posted by jesusjanitor on .
If you're that worried about it, download Ubuntu. It's free and can do almost everything Windows XP can do, including running most Windows programs full speed (with Wine). It's not like in the old days either, installation is pretty much fully automated and detects all your hardware automatically, especially on older machines. Except, i'd actually suggest you use XUbuntu as it is lighter on resources.

Security could end up being a huge problem for Windows XP. I'd assume it's still widely used, which is exactly why it will be targeted. Also, it's not open source so absolutely nothing can be done to fundamentally imrove the security of the system itself, the only option is third party/firewalls ect. WHich TBH is probably adaquate most of the time anyway.

Replies:
jesusjanitor -- 10/22/2014 4:05 pm UTC
Tricob -- 10/22/2014 8:04 pm UTC
jesusjanitor -- 10/22/2014 4:04 pm UTC