Message Board
Register

Re: Request: Zip File renaming/recompression

Posted by needsleepnow198 on .
Glad you noticed :).

Personally, I like the newer naming convention as you are only hosting US sets. I might put a disclaimer out there to those that wish to use .dat files and tools such as CLRMAMEPRO that there would be a naming change as a result.

Naming changes certainly aren't a priority, just something I noticed and nothing more.

Glad to hear you have a method for compression.

This place is a great source, and has only improved since this site has introduced me to emulation back around 2000 in my later years in HS. I hope to see this great resource evolve.

In reply to: Re: Request: Zip File renaming/recompression posted by Vimm on .
Thanks for posting, it's fun when people notice details like that.

You're right, only the newer systems use No-Intro/Redump titles on zip files. The Vault pre-dates those projects so I originally named everything myself using the title screen, but now I'm scanning each Vault nightly and renaming each ROM/ISO that changes. Some games have loads of metadata or multiple titles which looks ugly, so I'm currently favoring zips without metadata like this:

Dragon Warrior IV.zip
Dragon Warrior IV (USA).nes

I've used that naming convention for the GameCube and Wii Vaults, but for PSP I was lazy. I'd like to be consistent but nobody's ever brought it up before so it hasn't been a priority.

I prefer .zip files since beginners don't know what to do with a .7z file. .7z compresses better though so I use .zip for cartridges and .7z for discs.