Message Board
Register

Re: Automated CD scanning now in The Vault

Posted by TinMan1325 on .
Noice. Thanks for all the work you do. This place has certainly made these times a lot less boring

In reply to: Automated CD scanning now in The Vault posted by Vimm on .
The Vault now supports automated Redump scanning of CD-based games.

I've got a fair bit of free time thanks to Covid-19, and judging from my traffic stats so do a lot of you. So, I thought I'd build some backend updates I've been procrastinating with.

For a while now The Vault has scanned ROMs and DVDs nightly and updated them automatically. CD are a little trickier though. Most games are just one file which is nice and simple, but CDs have multiple files (a .cue and one or more .bin). The .cue file isn't technically game data either, it's an index based on the game's title. And the "official" title is often debated so it can change over time. Now when the title changes, each .bin is renamed and the new .cue is pulled from Redump. And of course, if any .bin data changes (and thus fails the scan) it's flagged for review.

This scan doesn't affect playability in any way, it simply ensures The Vault has accurate titles, filenames, and .cue files the same day Redump updates. The new scan currently covers all CD games with a single .bin file, and will soon be expanded to include all CD games (plus Dreamcast).