Message Board
Register

Re: Legality of rom downloading

Posted by TomRiddle98 on .
I agree with DerpySnake.

While ROM downloading is technically illegal and falls into the realm of copyright infringement, I wouldn't worry if I were you.

After all, at best what the ISP would do is just give you an inconvenient fine (assuming that your ISP gives a fuck about downloading 10+ year old games at this point)

But as someone who has been downloading ROMs for 6 years now, I can assure you that I have never been to jail for downloading Shrek Swamp Racers.

But if you're really worried about it then just use something like Express Vpn to mask your downloading if you are really that worried.

"Oh so you're a dumpbro, right? Then prove your legally owned copy of Mother 3."

In reply to: Re: Legality of rom downloading posted by DerpySnake on .
Downloading ROMs is not legal. You straight going to prison man

Just kidding. Companies are the ones that usually pursue legal action and when they do, it's typically on the hosts and not the downloaders. Some ISPs have been said to monitor your activity (threaten to leave them if they straight up tell you this please) though some don't.

I haven't ever heard of a story of anyone going to court or jail for specifically downloading ROMs, but as I like to say - the chances of being attacked by a tiger in public are low, but never zero.

Replies:
Ramiemulator -- 7/23/2021 9:27 pm UTC
mrnemo1176 -- 7/24/2021 4:45 am UTC
DerpySnake -- 7/24/2021 1:36 pm UTC