Message Board
Register

Re: adding rvz downloads for wii/GC games

Posted by EmptyEnvelope2 on .
1. GameCube uploads ask for a Redump images of the game you're uploading, not nkit.iso files. Vimm will later process the game into an nkit file for download.

2. Nkit is cross-platform through mono (at least the CLI apps, the GUI is still tied to Windows). Converting to/from nkit images should be possible in all platforms (except if there is a bug present with the app when running in mono, which would be problematic).

In reply to: Re: adding rvz downloads for wii/GC games posted by Rin Tohsaka on .
I have a couple non-US GameCube games not on the site that I'd like to upload, but the Nkit requirement makes it difficult for me, even more-so since Nkit is not cross-platform.

Creating and decompressing RVZ is much easier and is extremely cross-platform as well (Mac, Linux, and Android in addition to Windows - basically any platform that the Dolphin emulator is available for).

With the upcoming launch of the Steam Deck, being able to easily decompress and run games on a Linux-based OS seems like something we'd want to do.

And contrary to the site saying that Nkit is supported by Dolphin, the issue is that, despite being lossless, running a game directly from Nkit format can cause issues which Dolphin warns the user about. Yes, most games will work, but some games may have problems that would be otherwise unrealized and, some games like Super Paper Mario, straight up do not work when compressed as Nkit.