Message Board
Register

Re: How tf do i use bin and cue files?

Posted by danielmyt on .
Yep, .bin is the actual data, .cue is just a text file listing the .bin files and some other disc data. If the .iso format is preferred, Winbin2iso may be able to convert.

In reply to: Re: How tf do i use bin and cue files? posted by QwerkyPengwen on .
Short version:
For emulation, the bin file is usually the only necessary file on a computer but best to keep both around. When loading a game in an emulator (like say a PS1 emulator) just load the game using the bin file.

These two files are basically raw 1:1 rips of physical disc media.
The bin file contains all the actual media, the cue file is used for virtual disc mounting and proper burning of bin data to a blank disc.

These types of files are in my experience mostly associated with PS1 games though (with .iso and .iso variants being used for everything else disc related), and I am assuming this is what you are asking for.

Hope this basic info helps. :)
----------------------

----------------------
Longer version.

These two files go hand in hand in regards to having a raw direct 1:1 copy of a physical disc image and are necessary to recreating one when burning to a blank disc. (with the exception of any very proprietary and specific burning techniques).

But, to put it more simply in terms of using them in emulators, the bin file is usually just the data itself, while the cue file is the other bits that represent the physical optical media and some formatting info and stuff.

The cue file isn't 100% necessary for emulation though, but is recognized as a proper file for virtually mounting with virtual disc mounting software.

Typically you only need the bin file for emulators as they usually recognize said file but can also recognize the cue file as well and load either (depending on the emulator)

Be aware though, that while in a lot of cases the bin file can exist and be used for emulation without the cue file, the cue file is useless without the bin file since all the actual media is in the bin file, so if doing anything in regards to disc burning, or virtual mounting, you need both.

The use of both with virtual disc drive software and virtual mounting allows you to mount the cue file to then access the data in the bin file just like how you would access the data on a physical optical disc in a real disc drive just like CD/DVD.

Hopefully this answers it well enough for you and helps you understand things a bit better.