Message Board
Register

Re: Full Library Download

Posted by scottbeck79 on .
I had another thought on this in regards to the updates, meaning, there's obviously alot of homebrews, patched foreign languages for the Japan only games, some of which have not yet been been completed 100% (Dragon Warrior IV - PS1) and then the dilemma of new-ish & brand new(ly) released games for systems such as all the 8bit & 16bit era machines from essentially what I would call independent companies. I definitely think that they should be compensated for their work yet at the same time, I also think that the games should be preserved like the rest.

I realize that's a fine line to cross ethically when these games are still being sold, especially by the independent creators. Let me be clear, I have no problem with this done on systems that the only way to the acquire the games is through used copies online, from a store or if you're lucky a digital version that can be taken away from you at any given time even if you buy it - see Netflix and all other streaming services.

I haven't exactly worked out all the kinks in how this could possibly work in this context, other than if these people and/or companies could submit their work to some sort of subscription service for those running emulation as well as keeping physical copies available. There would have to be some sort of standard of quality I would imagine to be considered more than just a random homebrew game. Of course that would mean one would have to be available for them but I have seen plenty of these companies release games independently that would probably sell many more copies if they didn't have to do it all the promotion on their own. Of course, this could lead to a slew of other problems such as bootleg physical copies and such. Again, I don't have all the answers... these were just some thoughts I had.

In reply to: Re: Full Library Download posted by scottbeck79 on .
This is kind of what I was thinking, or possibly in sections such as by numbers or alphabetical. Again, this leads back to the notion of constant updates. Maybe this could be averted with check boxes of some sort. I would think most people who come here know that most of these collections aren't 100% complete but maybe a disclaimer added would be something that could be added. I'm adding my two cents from a fairly ignorant perspective as I know nothing of the time, effort & especially cost it takes to create, let alone maintain a website such as this.