Manual Project Board
Register

Re: Upload Issues

Posted by Vimm on .
Thanks for contributing and thank you very much for your feedback.

What you're noticing with your PNG DPI is just part of the specification. JPG stores resolution as dots per inch while PNG uses dots per centimeter. As a result there's a minor discrepancy when converting inches to centimeters. It's not always set correctly anyway so I go with the resolution you enter on the form and verify it later.

I'm always finding issues enabling large uploads. There's several places that enforce sizes and timeouts and unfortunately the lowest one wins. I've bumped up a couple settings and enabled more error messages, so please see if you can upload the higher resolutions scans now.

In reply to: Upload Issues posted by Prometheus on .
OK, I'll just run through some details of the attempts I have made to upload a few manuals so far. I know it's lengthy, but I hope the details help. If not Vimm, perhaps someone else has some suggestions. I followed the upload instructions to a T, so I imagine that the issues are primarily server or internet connection/timeout issues, but I could be wrong.

Attempt 1: Road Rash 64 (N64). Scanned at 300dpi PNG (15 images zipped at 202MB). For some reason the image file properties indicate 299dpi (truncation?). Selected 300dpi in upload menu anyway, then waited perhaps 15 minutes before my internet connection with the server timed out. IE could not display page, etc, etc.

Attmept 2: Same as Attempt 1. Same results. Thought I'd try again.

Attempt 3: Road Rash 64 (N64). Scanned at 200dpi PNG (15 images at 85MB). Again, image file properties indicate lower dpi, 199dpi. Entered image files as 200dpi before upload. After waiting for the upload for 12 minutes or so, I got a "500-Internal server error"; "There is a problem with the resource you are looking for, and it cannot be displayed".

Attempt 4: Road Rash 64 (N64). Scanned at 150dpi PNG (15 images at 48MB). This time, image file properties show 150dpi (I'm feeling luckier already). Interesting... JPG images always show same scan dpi within the image's after-scan properties; PNG images don't seem to save with same selected scan dpi (must be a PNG thing). Entered as 150dpi before uploading. Waited just 7 minutes before "SUCCESS". Went back to download pdf successfully. Noticed the quality to be poor, even for 150dpi (looks like manual was printed on denim). I would attribute that to my scanner quality settings, which I did change prior to Attempt 5. I'm now sticking with 150dpi due to smaller upload file size.

Attempt 5: 007: The World is Not Enough (N64). Scanned at 150dpi PNG (15 images at 36MB). I found a quality option within my scanner preferences to "scan at maximum pixel depth". The resulting scans were far better in quality, and somehow reduced file size as I compared two scans (go figure). Waited about 5 minutes for upload. Success again, BUT when I go to download the pdf, I see "Error: Image not found". So I can't download or even view the pdf.

Hmmm... there must be a way to do this. I'm out of ideas, save for trying JPG uploads instead. I have more manuals I would like to contribute to this awesome site, which I have been coming back to for years. Also, is there a definite upload size limit or duration to timeout? I can't seem to find a sure answer in the message boards.

Replies:
Re: Upload Issues
Prometheus -- 7/8/2010 3:25 pm UTC