Miscellaneous Board
Register

Thanks, Internet!

Posted by Tarbolde on .
I saw a movie on TV ages ago; couldn't remember the title or any of the actors.
No one that I asked IRL recognized it from my description:

Apocolyse scenario. All-terrain vehicle, motorcycles, mutant cockroaches, an odd-colored sky, a plunge into water...

Searched *the official channels* on and off over the last few years with no results,
not even a title. I was beginning to wonder if I might have imagined the whole thing.

One night while on other business I happened upon a movie blog that was in line with
my interests. It had a facility to search for movies by release year, and so I did.

After paging through a couple of years worth of films, I saw it : a poster for the movie that
showed the ATV and motorcycle. Damnation Alley, that had to be it! Starring a pre-
A-Team George Peppard and a youthful Jan-Michael Vincent, the reader can imagine
what kind of treats this movie holds in store for the patient viewer.

Fun-Fact (courtesy of Wikipedia): 20th Century Fox had planned to release only two
science fiction films in 1977, with Damnation Alley intended to be the blockbuster.
The other film — in which 20th Century Fox executives had very little confidence — was, well... you know.

Anyway, the info was much welcome, especially the data links. While I got that underway,
it occurred to me to look for the movie on DVD, now that it had a name. Turned out
it was available. In fact, it had been released only one day before I found it online,
where the rip had been posted 10 months earlier.

Scully: "How did you get this?"
Skinner: "Unofficial channels."

-Tarbolde

"Thanks, Internet!"

In reply to: Re: Thanks, Internet! posted by Tarbolde on .
I was looking for a particular version of sfa2.zip. Every one that I found was missing certain files like 'sz2ux.03' etc., so I did a search for those files specifically.

At this point in a search, it starts to get serious. The usual sources have been exhausted, and it won't be long before meeting victory or defeat no, it's serious now. There's really just the one acceptable outcome.

The jungle cat is on the prowl...

Nothing too promising at first, but a result from McAfee SiteAdvisor listed sz2ux.03 in a download analysis report. SA scans select files for safety.

Link to that page:
http://www.siteadvisor.com/sites/streetfighter-fr.com/downloads/3104684/

Their report showed sz2ux.03 etc. as being in the archive and also gave a direct link to sfa2.zip, along with a link to the website that it came from.

After performing the SiteAdvisor-enabled bandwidth-rape, curiosity took me to the website that SA is so shamelessly exploiting.

Streetfighter-fr.com has this to say about sfa2.zip: ""Une version améliorée de SFZ2 uniquement sortie au Japon qui permet quelques inovations comme le Dramatic Battle mode, présent dans SFZ 1 et 3."

Indeed. And in the spirit of that, I'll add: "McAfee-SA ROM Finder fournit un excellent service pour les joueurs de jeux vidéo et de sangsues, trop!"

Sometimes an indirect approach can be surprisingly fruitful.

"Thanks, Internet!"

Replies:
Thanks, Internet!
Tarbolde -- 7/5/2012 11:32 pm UTC
Re: Thanks, Internet!
Tricob -- 7/6/2012 11:30 pm UTC
Tarbolde -- 7/8/2012 9:43 am UTC
Tricob -- 7/8/2012 11:29 pm UTC
Dhaos -- 7/6/2012 11:41 pm UTC