Message Board
Register

Re: Answer for Terence.

Posted by Terence on .
Thanks for the answer Vimm. If I may ask, you said it launched your career?! What happened and what did you get into? Do you have other websites and such? I'm just curious. I'm not asking what Baby Vimm was like back in the day. Lol And holy crap "Altavista" Haven't heard that word in a long time!

"Wuba luba dub dub!"

In reply to: Answer for Terence. posted by Vimm on .
Thanks, I aim for a combination of simple yet functional though I'm always tweaking stuff. Lately I've been working on The Vault navigation with subtle things like the mouseover screenshot, a menu search, and various graphics.

I've never talked much about stats but traffic has steadily declined over the years and it's largely my fault. For a while I stuck to 16-bit systems and (surprise) they're not as popular as they were ten years ago. Most traffic has come from searches and Google doesn't rate frame-based pages highly, so no help there. The days when I ranked #1 for the search "NES ROMs" on Altavista are long gone.

But you're right, most people do just hop in to download games and that's fine. At it's peak Vimm's Lair served 20,000 visitors per day and lately it's closer to 1,000. Vimm's Lair is just a hobby which happened to launch my career so I try to show it some love now and then. Lately I've redesigned the site without frames for better search rankings and I've been updating the Vault with "newer" systems. Oddly enough for me that's nostalgic in itself. I've always relied on searches and word of mouth for traffic so if I put out a good product then in time people will come.

Replies:
Vimm -- 6/17/2013 12:56 pm UTC
Terence -- 6/17/2013 2:02 pm UTC