Miscellaneous Board
Register

Re: Why Emulators... WHY!?!?

Posted by Tarbolde on .
What OS are you on and why don't you want to update DirectX?

In reply to: Why Emulators... WHY!?!? posted by JshThmsRnwtr on .
Another year, another emulator...

It's amazing how many emulators there are out there, but the hard part is finding one that "fully" suits the most basic of requirements.

Like for example: "Visual Boy Advance"

Now this emulator is REALLY good (believe me, I tried it once), but sadly, you have to download and install DirectX on your computer (or a computer) in order to use it [which is kind of BS in my opinion].

More or less, how come there aren't any GOOD emulators that don't require you to install anything on your computer... emulators that can run off of your flash drive without any unneeded installation files.

If there are any good emulators out there, can you please verify for me which ones can actually run their ROMs and not require any kind of pain in the neck installation?

So, for a short reply... all I want to know is:

-Name of the emulator
-What system it emulates
-If it can run FULL/COMPLETE ROMs (and not just homebrews/demos)
-If it can be COMPLETELY ran from a flash drive/pendrive/USB stick (NO installing anything onto the computer)

If you can list at least 5 emulators (of different brands of course), then I would highly appreciate it.

I can't seem to find any GOOD emulators for later game systems (such as GBA, PS1, PS2, Gamecube, etc).

Although, I know SNES, NES, Sega Genesis/32X, and of course MOST of the classic/retro systems don't require any installation files, so please try to leave those out.

I'm mostly looking for PORTABLE emulators that run COMPLETELY off of the flash drive/pendrive/USB without any INSTALLATION of any kind for the more "advanced" systems (such as GBA, PS1/PSX, PS2, Gamecube, and so on)

BONUS QUESTION: What is your favorite emulator and why?