Miscellaneous Board
Register

Re: Auxilliary Control

Posted by Tricob on .
What happens when you attempt to use your E-Mail? It may end up being something really simple. :-)

- Tricob.

"Glass Tiger for life! "

In reply to: Auxilliary Control posted by Tarbolde on .
I cursed myself a fool for working from the faltering primary drive and booted over to the secondary drive, where all was still well.
Except that I couldn't get my email working.

My XP FPP OS is installed on a 12 GB partition (H:) on my 80 GB secondary drive. I started by offloading all extraneous data from H: to the external drive in order to make some room, then began to copy files from the 'sluggish' partition to H:. The first few made it without issue; it was all going very well. Too well.

*CRASH*

I sat there for a minute in stunned silence, gathering my resolve. And then it was on. I broke out the Ubuntu Linux Live CD that I'd made following a previous adventure and booted it up. My HDDs were all recognized and we were off to the races. I copied entire folders from the primary to the external drive without a hitch, including my 6+ GB unsorted Arcade ROMs folder. A couple of times Ubuntu seemed to hang while copying files from the sluggish G: partition, but I gave it plenty of time to finish the transfers and after a reboot it appeared that they had made it intact.

Now serious business, the salvage operation continued late into the evening until, with about 80% of the task completed, I had to get some sleep. After booting back into Windows I still couldn't get my email working, but did get a download started and finally called it a night.

Replies:
Re: Auxilliary Control
Tarbolde -- 3/25/2014 3:39 pm UTC