Message Board
Register

is emulation piracy?

Posted by funk on .
someone on this board probably had a debate about this before, but i want to add my 2 cents.

personally, i don't think emulation is piracy for a bunch of reasons.

1. if i want to play a game like say, teenage mutant ninja turles for the NES for example. nintendo doesn't offer it on any of their legal offerings. it was apparently available on the wii virtual console, and i even heard it was delisted but even if it wasn't, nintendo is shutting down the wii shop channel and removed the ability to buy points before the initial shutdown, so i can't buy it. no other company is also offering the game legally. oh and you might say "ebay. you can buy games from there for the nes" which leads me to point 2.

2. buying used games from ebay doesn't support the developer. it doesn't give one cent to the original license holder, developer, manufacturer, etc. sure, it is legal to get, but what if i want to both get a game legally (on legal storefronts maintained by the original license holders) and support the developer? it's not possible. and what if it was a rare game? do i really want to shell out 700 dollars for a flintstones game? how about nwc 1990? that thing rarely even gets a listing on ebay, and even when it does, it's usualy 50k or even 200k dollars. sure there are repros, but again, that doesn't give a cent to the developers.

3. having 20 consoles is impractical, and a costly investment. what if i want to play on BOTH mega drive and nes? and own a lot of games? well, again, it would be difficult and costly to get some of the rare games, and original hardware itself is getting harder to repair as the availability of original parts is dwindling fast because of the fact these consoles are over 20-30 years old now.

i can understand if you disagree all of these and even call me a idiot. it is my opinion tho, and i'd love to hear your stance on this!

Replies:
Re: is emulation piracy?
Vimm -- 12/22/2018 9:50 pm UTC
pbear489 -- 1/20/2019 12:46 am UTC
DerpySnake -- 12/26/2018 11:24 am UTC
0007 -- 1/22/2019 4:04 pm UTC