Message Board
Register

Re: are the non-verified games here viruses?

Posted by darkcloud806 on .
Hi Kazo.

I just posted a thread on here regarding my security concerns regarding the software and coding that goes into the ISOs listed on Vimm’s Lair.
kennyh’s message contained what are called “hashes�. Hashes are integrity verifications used to ensure that the software you download on the internet matches what is installed on your machine. It verifies that the software was not changed in transit to your computer.
The problem is that we do not know who sources the code for these emulations. Someone with some programming knowledge could, in theory, submit an emulation to Vimm’s Lair after modifying the source code. Once Vimm’s Lair has it, the website creates the hash. It really doesn’t matter if there is or isn’t a virus or executable in the code: the hash is created after the code is uploaded here.
Hopefully the website admins give me an answer here before too long. When I have it, I’ll let you know.

In reply to: are the non-verified games here viruses? posted by Kazo on .
I'm really paranoid about this, I just downloaded nba street 1 for the ps2 and there's no verification in the game desc.

Replies:
Re: are the non-verified games here viruses?
darkcloud806 -- 3/13/2020 4:45 pm UTC