Miscellaneous Board
Register

Re: You know....

Posted by Tarbolde on .
I missed out on a lot of 90's games, the 'middle' computer years, and the early-mid internet (prison, in case you're wondering why). That leaves me with a lot to catch up on.

FF1 and Dragon Warrior II are the only games I've played that Vimm mentioned, both on NES hardware. Taking note of the others as recommendations.

I have a pretty decent collection of games myself. Favorite purchase of recent years: Dragon's Lair 20th Anniversary set. If they stopped making games today, I'd probably still not be able to finish all of the ones that I already have.

I'm more motivated to buy a new computer to run MAME smoothly than to participate in the latest whiz-bang gaming fad. Yesterday I spent some time tracking down an old favorite that I'd forgotten the name of : "arcade helicopter cave"- Super Cobra.

New games are for *new gamers*. I usually wait a few years until the price drops to a sane amount. Bought a PS2 recently, mainly to play GTA games. It was my first new console since NES (got SNES and Genesis used- under $10 each including some games). I'm nowhere near the cutting edge...

quoting Tricob:
>I usually go "old-school" myself.

"Word."

P.S.- I was only kidding about having been in prison, but it sounds like Terry might be headed there.

PW: Ter-Trnc_XF6x4

In reply to: Re: You know.... posted by Tricob on .
Quote from Vimm:
>So why should I take a chance on a new game I "might" like when I can rediscover an old game I know I like?

I usually go "old-school" myself, but this recent release is definitely one of the better ones. It won't become legendary, because it has an obsolete game engine, but I found it just as exciting as today's 3D games *should* have been. :-)

http://www.brlowe.co.uk/absence_sdl.zip

Enjoy. :-)

- Tricob.