Miscellaneous Board
Register

Re: Taito lock

Posted by Tarbolde on .
I meant that Taito was sued by the Edgar Rice Burroughs estate over the Tarzan-like character in Jungle King, so they remade it as Jungle Hunt.

Taito probably could have beat that if they hadn't used the 'Tarzan yodel' in the game; men in loincloth have been around since the invention of modesty.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jungle_Hunt#History

Taito Lock n. The method of DRM employed by Taito Legends 1 & 2 .

In reply to: Re: MAME posted by Tricob on .
> In the scanline demo pics they used Jungle King for the example
> screen. I'd forgotten about that version, and didn't know that
> they'd gotten sued over it; hence Jungle Hunt.

As far as I know, Taito never had such "locks" on Jungle Hunt. Jungle King was posted simply because that's the original version of the game. Jungle Hunt is a derivative of the older game, and requires many files from the original game in order to run.

The newest versions of MAME are extremely slow, and it's been that way since version 0.100 (It got slower and slower over time). That's why I haven't run a newer version. I use v0.59 for most ROMs, and v0.99 for a just two ("Nibbler" and "Frogs And Flies", incorrectly listed in the MAME database as "Frogs"). For games "Gauntlet 1", "Gauntlet 2", "Pac-land", "Pole Position II", "Prehistoric Isle", and "Road Blasters", I use MAME v0.84. This is only because ROM sets n ow available don't work in the older versions (they're missing "required" files), and lack things like Mouse control for Road Blasters and Pole Position II.

- Tricob.