Manual Project Board
Register

Re: Scanning

Posted by Vimm on .
Thanks a lot, you've really made a big contribution. 150 dpi is just fine. All that really matters is how it looks and your scans look good to me.

I get an e-mail each time someone uploads and I've been working to fix the errors you've encountered. The database error for TMNT3 has me stumped so I've set it to forward me more details next time it happens.

In reply to: Re: Scanning posted by Ketchup on .
I have been doing all of my scanning so far in OS 10.6.3 , which basically requires using Preview for HP scanners. Its options are very limited, and I cannot choose between Deepcolor and Truecolor. There is also no option for paper type. The only things I can really adjust are color vs. grayscale (and I've discovered that using grayscale for B&W manuals leads to weird effects with the manual builder), # of colors, and resolution. The rest of the options are basically post-scan filters that I can adjust in Photoshop anyway.

Lately, I've been able to avoid some of the "moire" effect (I learned a new word) by scanning with billions of colors and putting a dark matte folder on the back, in order to cover up the rest of the scanner field and minimize any reflectivity. This seems to be working rather well for the glossier manuals.

As far as resolution goes, I'm afraid I won't be able to go back and scan everything at 300 dpi (at least any time soon). I started scanning manuals as part of a side-project, but I'm a bit limited for time, as the majority of my game collection is back home, with my extremely slow scanner and internet bandwidth limitations.