Miscellaneous Board
Register

Re: Just what I was looking for

Posted by Tricob on .
If NES Golf took a while for emulators to run properly, it would explain why there aren't many hacks of it going around. This rules clearly doesn't apply to SMB3, and I'll tell you why. Hacks of SMB3 are as widespread as they are because ... well, hacks circulated around the U.S. long before emulation even came around. I remember one or two years after SMB3 came out, a hack was already out that "made the last boss harder", enabling him to fire more shots at you at one time. I was never told the name of this hack, though.

Anyway, try out the BASIC languages of the NES first, if you don't want to start with something too overwhelming. If you know someone who's genuinely interested in the NES and the way it runs its programs, he'd be good to have around when you do your work. :-)

I have mixed feelings about the NES overall; I'm much more interested in the "CoCo" home computer (see COCO3.COM) and the Genesis consoles. The TG16 is a curiosity for me, but I honestly haven't done much with it yet. :-(

- Tricob.

"Glass Tiger for life! "

In reply to: Just what I was looking for posted by Loft24 on .
Thanks, Tricob, I'd say this is essentially what I was looking for. It also answers my question of difficulty: I have to teach myself programming! There is a company called Paradox Interactive, and their games are all text-based programs that are easy to modify. This site looks slightly over my head, but I'll add it to my list of projects.

As far as Golf goes, i had intended to replace the original course with maybe Pebble Beach or maybe Shadowbrook Public Course in Tunkhannock, PA. As Golf games go, I think the original is the best despite its lack of bells and whistles. I'm actually surprised no one has done any modding liek that, the way Tecmo SuperBowl gets updated all the time. Granted, Tecmo revolutionized the football video game genre, but I figured there were enough programmers to go around that someone would do it with Golf. Maybe I'll be the first!

Replies:
Loft24 -- 2/20/2011 10:34 pm UTC
Tricob -- 2/22/2011 10:24 pm UTC