Miscellaneous Board
Register

Re: Just what I was looking for

Posted by Tricob on .
Probably because it - like Ms. Pac-man - has a minor "compression" scheme; not easy to change if you don't know how it works. Ms. has a handful of "actual" values (where dots, walls, and power-pills are), while the rest say - "Take the data you used in the last square, and duplicate it 'x' amount of times". This lets the data in each maze take up less space.

In Ms. Pac-man, only the left half of the maze can be changed; the right half automatically "mirrors" the left half, "reversing" its content from right to left. You'll probably be dealing with something similar in Golf.

Hope that info is a help. :-)

- Tricob.

"Glass Tiger for life! "

In reply to: Re: Just what I was looking for posted by Loft24 on .
I figured for a main project, I'd introduce the RPG on SNES. NES seemed like a good building block to start with, but maybe it is better to just jump into 16 bit with both feet.

I'm obviously discussing two different topics here, but Golf is a personal case because of the relationship my dad and I have with the game. I feel pretty confident that most gamers are not golfers (i'm not) and that the interest in hacking it would have been minimal, even in the 27 years since its release. All the hacks I find for the game are visual in nature, for instance, you can golf as any of the members of Kiss if you go to one site. I haven't located anyone that really plays with the course itself.