Even under best-case scenarios, mixing Windows's uninstaller and third party uninstallers is asking for trouble, whether or not the third-party uninstaller works perfectly. I personally just stick with the Windows uninstaller. But if the program itself provides an "Uninstall" option in its own Programs group, I always select that first.
Regarding the slowdown after uninstall, that's a simple matter of cleaning up the registry after the deed is done. I use Eusing Free Registry Cleaner for that.
"Glass Tiger for life!
Thinking back on it, there were a few incidents that might have signaled trouble on the way.
I'd decided to remove some obsolete software to free up space on my boot partition, inexplicably using the Windows Control Panel, which I normally shun in favor of a third-party uninstaller. The first program up for removal had been in place for quite a while without having been updated.
It may just be superstition, but I think that when a program has been installed for a long time Windows gets used to it being there, and that removing it is a task best not left to Windows.
"As I experience certain sensory input patterns, my mental pathways become accustomed to them. The inputs eventually are anticipated, and even missed when absent."
Still, for whatever reason, this time I used the Add/Remove Programs menu in the Control Panel. Windows huffed and puffed and nearly hung, but it finally gave in and removed the software. The next time I powered down there was an error message that went by too fast to read. I rarely have anything like that happen and should have looked into it further, but instead disregarded it. It's probably nothing
. And maybe it was
A few days later a window popped up that said defrag.exe had crashed while working in a temp folder. It was news to me that defrag runs without being told to, but here was the proof. I didn't get too worked-up about it crashing, though. Probably nothing, just... delicious red herring
Maybe a week later I was putting together a DVD project amidst reservations that the output target partition might be too fragmented to accommodate the task. That may have been the case; DVDFlick crashed bigtime. The incomplete DVD files that were left behind acted strange; accessing them in any way, even hovering over them for information, was extremely sluggish. Yea, there was something evil
about those files, and deleting them did not go well.
The next time I tried to back up data from that partition to a DVD-R, ImgBurn crashed. Copying the files to another drive before burning to disc was more successful, and
more time consuming. It was around then that I got the external drive, which brings us back to the OP.