Miscellaneous Board
Register

Re: Partition Politics

Posted by Tricob on .
Let's hope it really is a failing harddisk, and not a failing motherboard. :-(

- Tricob.

"Glass Tiger for life! "

In reply to: Partition Politics posted by Tarbolde on .
With a sinking feeling, I continued archiving files to DVD-R and saving backups to the external USB drive.

After deleting a lot of recent data from all partitions my computer still wasn't working any better. The crash/chkdsk behavior intensified and soon new symptoms appeared. In Device Manager the Microsoft drivers no longer registered as being digitally signed. Replacing them with fresh copies from the Windows CD made no difference.

Looking for clues regarding the chkdsk problem, I opened the boot loader and found (edited for clarity) this:

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS="My friggin' C: drive!"

Whaaat? C: is definitely on partition 1, and there's nothing bootable on partition 2 (E:). Editing the boot.ini to find C: on partition 1 rendered the OS unbootable, but I was prepared for that and used the XP installation on my 80 GB secondary drive to fix the boot loader. Everything looked alright in that second installation; UDMA 5 was working and the MSFT drivers were still digitally signed.

(*Reboots to C:*)

Windows needs to verify the consistency of the file system on Partition E:

One of your disks need to be checked for consistency. You may cancel the disk check by pressing any key, but it is strongly recommended that you continue.

Verifying Indexes.
Verifying Files.
Verifying Security Descriptors.

Recovering orphaned file fragments.
Rewriting corrupted bit-map entries.

welcome

After finally getting back into the C: partition, I concluded that my 320 GB primary drive was failing and decided it was time to offload my data to the 3 TB external drive For Great Justice with all due haste.

Replies:
Muddy Waters
Tarbolde -- 12/16/2013 5:47 pm UTC
Re: Muddy Waters
Tricob -- 12/16/2013 10:17 pm UTC
Tarbolde -- 12/17/2013 7:05 pm UTC
Tricob -- 12/20/2013 6:28 pm UTC
Tarbolde -- 12/22/2013 5:04 pm UTC