Vimm's Lair: Message Board
Message Board
Register

Re: Physical collector question, regarding burning

Posted by SOULSHOCK on .
Hello friend, I only stop in here occasionally please be patient but little doubt you'll appreciate my advice and instruction, i am quite experienced on this subject and i can walk you through just what to do.

Keeping it simple, My best instruction for you would be to give the 2 best solutions for both your desires.
please bare in mind your proposed solutions for playing vs storing are not
all applicable in the way you suggested but trust that I have just the solution for you and you will see why by the end if you bare with me.

Firstly, to future proof your ps2 discs using BDR disc storage solution. lets complete this please.

please procure the following

25GB BDR Blank discs
BDR READ/WRITE DRIVE (blu ray disc burner)
WINDOWS PC

download and install the following program files
7z1900-x64.exe (7-zip)
SetupImgBurn_2.5.8.0.exe

at this point you will be ready to store and preserve around 20 of your ps2 games per blu ray for purposes of personal use.
please make sure your bdr burner shows up inside imgburn program.

please reply when you have completed these steps.

now additionally, to begin on your 2nd issue, playing the backed up ps2 games. please answer the following,

Do you own a ps2?
is it a fat or slim?

if it is slim is it a 9000 series? (glossy shell)

what model number is your ps3?

Thanks and i hope you take action!

"SCHEMATICS OR DIE"

In reply to: Physical collector question, regarding burning ISO posted by LaSamourai on .
Hello everyone!
New to these forums, and thankful to anyone who responds. This question mainly regards PS1-PS2 games, which are more subject to Disc rot as opposed to PS3 games onward (which come with the scratch resistant durability of Blu-Ray/4K Discs, and therefore worry me less about buying physically).

I recently became aware, via another website, it is possible to burn .ISO files to playable discs. This is a welcome surprise, since I do like to actually have a visible library of games on my shelf (same with films, which I buy Blu-Ray/4K to give my collection lasting scratch resistant durability). This is also more optimal to me than just storing them on Harddrives or USBs to plug into monitors, since those can fail and become unreadable over time (unlike Sony Discs), giving my physical library better longevity.

I'm aware 6th-gen game discs are subject to rot, and many now only exist as preserved .ISO files because of this. I'm also aware PS2 files can be read by certain PS3 models, making me wonder if it's possible to burn them to BD-R for longer lifespan than a digital copy. What I'm wondering is if anyone is aware of the steps or procedures regarding burning an .ISO PS2 file to disc, and whether that disc can be read by one of the PS3 models with backwards disc compatibility. Thank you to anyone who takes the time to respond!

Replies:
LaSamourai -- 1/19/2024 10:27 pm UTC
soulshock -- 2/4/2024 6:55 am UTC