Vimm's Lair: Message Board
Message Board
Register

Re: Best set up for running Gamecube/Wii games?

Posted by Danielle on .
16 GB is not a lot of storage space. Are you sure that isn't the RAM you're looking at?

"Inspiron 13" just refers to the screen size (13 inches). That's not the model number. Your CPU is also the i3-7100U, that's not a 0 at the end. The only Inspiron to use the 7100U seems to be the Inspiron 13 5278, which could be upgraded to a max of 16 GB RAM. It would have come with at least 500 GB of storage space. You also don't mention the OS, but it would have shipped with Windows 10.

The i3-7100U is not the most powerful CPU, and the Intel HD Graphics 620 that it comes with is not the most powerful graphics accelerator. The 5378 was the mid-range model for the 13-inch Inspirons at the time (2016), and the 7100U was the cheapest option for its CPU. Dolphin doesn't really need a huge amount of processing power just to run GC or Wii games at stock resolutions with no texture mods or anything, and assuming you do have the full 16 GB of RAM you shouldn't have any bottlenecks there. However, you should probably expect frame drops and stuttering at times. You might have to fiddle with the settings until you find what works best.

GBA and DS games on the other hand should run fairly well. Ultimately, you'll have to just download the emulators and ROMs and find out for yourself.

In reply to: Best set up for running Gamecube/Wii games? posted by deathwing666 on .
Just getting back into emulators and I was given an older Dell laptop... I haven't really used a PC for about 20 years, so I'm not really sure what I need to reliably run GC/Wii emulator and games. I'm hoping this freebie laptop will suffice to some extent, at least for GBA and DS games.

Specs are:

Inspiron 13
Intel Core i3-71000 CPU @ 2.40 GHz
16GB SSD
64-bit OS

Still currently weeding through what is bloatware vs what is necessary, but currently have 10 out of 16GB free. Slow process having to learn how to navigate a PC again, especially with how integrated the UI is.

Any help is appreciated. :)

Replies:
Re: Best set up for running Gamecube/Wii games?
deathwing666 -- 4/22/2024 11:05 pm UTC