Vimm's Lair: Message Board
Message Board
Register

Re: Learn from my mistake. Back up your data.

Posted by Tricob on .
Depends on how new your hardware and OS is. For Windows XP and Vista users, the memory stick (a.k.a. Thumb Drive) will work best for you. You will need a machine that has an open USB port, though. My personal favorite of the Memory Sticks is the Lexar, although it lacks a Write Protect switch like some others have.

If you have Windows 98 (1st Edition, Second Edition, or Final Edition) or a machine without a USB port, your best bet is using a ZIP Disk or IO Mega Drive (or IO Megazip; I don't have the name with me to verify). The drives (and to a small degree, the disks) are somewhat hard to come by nowadays, but many thrift shops and charities will carry PCs that have these kinds of drives already supplied. Search for machines with Win95 or Win98 (the first two editions) installed. The Zip drives were made available in that timeline, and often came pre-installed on such PCs in those years.

- Tricob.

"Glass Tiger for life! "

In reply to: Re: Learn from my mistake. Back up your data. posted by Proteus on .
How do you back up data that you intend to modify? Do you use an external drive? A separate internal drive? Some kind of thumb drive? I'm looking to form some good back-up habits, a process that is efficient as possible, avoids unintended duplicates or mixed-up versions, but that is easy to use and remember. Have you developed a system for making and organizing your back ups?