Vimm's Lair: Message Board
Message Board
Register

8 GB RAM ???

Posted by Tarbolde on .
That sounds like some present!

My guess would have been that Win7 would need at least 2GB RAM; I accept your assessment of 3 GB without even blinking.

Win8 is supposed to hit beta sometime in 2011. If conventional wisdom is correct, it will have even higher requirements.
~~~
I haven't heard Peter and the Wolf in ages. When I saw the title in your post, the grandfather's bassoon theme sprang immediately to mind. Classic!

In reply to: Re: OFF TOPIC: Win7 posted by Tricob on .
Quote from Tarbolde:
>>New computer, I take it.

Yep, belated birthday present, believe it or not. :-)

>> How goes that? And what say ye on Winders7?

I say - as I do in my un-posted Win7 review - if you don't have more than 3 GB of RAM, just stay away from the OS; it's made strictly for high-end PCs anyway. It'll probably crash your machine in less than 12 months. Even with a ground-breaking PC like mine (with 8 GB of RAM), it writes to the harddisk at least twice ever four seconds, sometimes even twenty times in four seconds (even if you've let it sit around untouched for over 90 minutes). This guarantees an upcoming harddrive crash, which Vista was notorious for.

>> I need to do some Windows® shopping, but still can't get past this:
>>
>> WinXP CPU-300_RAM-256
>> Win7 CPU- 1000_RAM-1000

Actually, you need to check the video RAM requirements as well (It's 64 VRAM, IIRC). Check also your harddisk capacity. You'll need at least 10 GB of free harddrive space before Win7 will boot properly (It requires 10 GB to install too, IIRC).

On the plus side, I have Cable Internet ... at least for now. So I'll see about making some videos and posting them online on YouTube. There's a PD MP3 I'd like to give pics and animation to. You can find the MP3 here, though my version has far less distortion.

http://www.archive.org/details/PeterAndTheWolf_753

- Tricob.

Replies:
Re: Peter And The Wolf
Tricob -- 12/9/2010 9:23 pm UTC
Re: System requirements
Tricob -- 12/9/2010 9:15 pm UTC