Miscellaneous Board
Register

Re: Is emulation dieing???

Posted by Dhaos on .
Emulation as a whole isn't dying, but in my opinion retro-emulation is. I've stated this before that with a younger group of gamers the perks currently associated with retrogaming (namely nostalgia) will be lost, since they will have no past affiliation with the classics.

"Next-Gen" Emulation will struggle to push on, but will meet greater and greater resistance from THE CORPORATION (or "The Man" if you prefer) which will no doubt label emulation programmers as Hackers and those that use their programs as Pirates. As time goes on more and more talented individuals will drop out from the emulation scene finding it no longer worth their time and financial safety to be stuck in an endless struggle. The best example of this is Dark_AleX's retirement from the PSP community.

We could see a resurgency in emulation if more cellphones are made to operate homebrewed applications, such as emulators. Playing games on cellphones is huge right now in Japan and it's expected to boom here in the states by next year, so if successful ports of snes9x or vNES can be made I would expect to see a moderate surge in the popularity of emulation.

In reply to: Is emulation dieing??? posted by Terence on .
Well I sure dont think so. I did this emulation thing for MANY years(during which i happily ran into vimms :), way before i ever knew about all those online games. Hell, for all those kids with dial-up this place is a holy shrine. (I used to be among those) I started the emulation hobby looking to play some RPGs(woot). I beat many games such as Treasure of Rudras to Front Mission, even though i always had a playstation 2. I remember back when i used to be a DragonBallZ fan, I came across a dbz site and saw something about Snes9x and these "roms". I was about 11ish mind you. I had no idea and never grasped ahold of this emulation untill bout 3-4 years later. I downloaded all I could and just as i was about to beat Kefka in Final Fantasy 6, my computer crashed...*****!!!!!! After I got my computer fixed with everything new...woot... I only downloaded the very best of games. I then found this site(during this gigantic conversation of religion...just shy of the FF7 rant, which im regret that i missed)and have came here frequently, though not recently, to try to be apart of something other than what it was i was doing at that time. Then i got badass good dsl and started to play games such as guild wars. Thing is i love this site, ill always come back to this place even though i dont have urges to play Snes games anymore. This is a one of a kind site to come and be apart of and im glad i ran into it. Now..imma gonna go play fps War Rock wooot woot Cya Vimm dudes...:) Oh yeah emulation isn't dead yet. :P