Vimm's Lair: Message Board
Message Board
Register

Re: Do we really need a Discord?

Posted by Ojed4r on .
I thought I was the only one who thought Discord was absolute poison, glad that not all people are brainwashed. If someone is running an unofficial server I don't mind it, but I don't support it personally, I despise that platform and it's one of the reasons that modern gaming is trash... I guess better for us who decided to went full retro

In reply to: Do we really need a Discord? posted by Hagath on .
Discord is responsible for the destruction of a lot of old websites. The chats themselves are unhealthy echo chambers that some people browse obsessively all day long to the point where the app starts replacing their social life.
But that's not all. Discord itself is very malicious and hoards everything from your messages, recordings of your voice calls, as well as personal information while forbidding the use of tools that allow you to maintain your privacy and forcing you to enter your phone number.
I personally find the fact that this site is moving to Discord to be deeply concerning. After all emulation still exists today purely because of the free software movement. If you want to expand the community, you can do so through a similar yet less nefarious place like Matrix.

Here's hitcord disabling accounts without phone numbers attached to them: https://www.reddit.com/r/privacy/comments/djyy6v/psa_discord_is_deactivating_accounts_without/
More sources can be provided upon request.