Message Board
Register

Re: Playing online in ios

Posted by archivist83 on .
Trollstore could be considered a jailbreak, since it exploits a vulnerability to modify iOS

AltStore and SideStore are definitely not jailbreaks*. Apple has an official method to install IPA files (https://support.apple.com/en-gb/guide/apple-configurator-mac/cad4cd08c03/mac) using a Mac. All Altstore does is port that to Windows, add the ability to automatically refresh over wifi, and make it much easier to use. Sidestore does that, as well as using a proxy to let you refresh apps using their computers instead of your own. This could get your Apple ID banned (hence why they recommend using a burner) but I wouldn't consider that to be using an iOS exploit (it's using an Apple server-side exploit, I guess)

*Altstore (and most likely also Sidestore) includes an option in it's settings to disable the 3 app limit. This setting utilises an exploit, and would likely be considered a jailbreak

In reply to: Re: Playing online in ios posted by Danielle on .
Those are all workarounds for jailbreaking.

Trollstore exploits a vulnerability in the code signing mechanism of certain versions of iOS to trick your device into thinking an arbitrary app has been approved by Apple. This is why it only works on older iOS revisions and why updating your iOS device will prevent it from working.

Altstore and Sidestore both exploit features intended for iOS developers, allowing you to install arbitrary apps as if you were a developer testing them on the device. Both of these involve getting your iCloud account set to developer mode, and Apple could technically revoke developer features if they suspect you are not actually a developer, although I don't know how likely this is in practice. Sidestore recommends using a burner iCloud account just in case. If you are on iOS 16 or 17, you will also need to set your phone to developer mode.

Replies:
Danielle -- 3/25/2024 1:25 am UTC
archivist82 -- 3/25/2024 2:33 pm UTC
Danielle -- 3/26/2024 1:14 am UTC