Miscellaneous Board
Register

Thanks, Internet!

Posted by Tarbolde on .
I was involved in a discussion on the official forum of a fairly high-profile music artist. A few of the songs from the latest release were download-only and not available in some regions, including mine. Not even for, you know, money.

A moderator mentioned that anyone who couldn't get the songs should send them a message, which I did, not knowing what to expect. Their reply contained a link to a .zip on a common file host. Inside were high-bitrate mp3s of the songs in question, free of charge.

Quasi-official warez.

"Thanks, Internet!"

In reply to: Thanks, Internet! posted by Tarbolde on .
I saw a movie on TV ages ago; couldn't remember the title or any of the actors.
No one that I asked IRL recognized it from my description:

Apocolyse scenario. All-terrain vehicle, motorcycles, mutant cockroaches, an odd-colored sky, a plunge into water...

Searched *the official channels* on and off over the last few years with no results,
not even a title. I was beginning to wonder if I might have imagined the whole thing.

One night while on other business I happened upon a movie blog that was in line with
my interests. It had a facility to search for movies by release year, and so I did.

After paging through a couple of years worth of films, I saw it : a poster for the movie that
showed the ATV and motorcycle. Damnation Alley, that had to be it! Starring a pre-
A-Team George Peppard and a youthful Jan-Michael Vincent, the reader can imagine
what kind of treats this movie holds in store for the patient viewer.

Fun-Fact (courtesy of Wikipedia): 20th Century Fox had planned to release only two
science fiction films in 1977, with Damnation Alley intended to be the blockbuster.
The other film — in which 20th Century Fox executives had very little confidence — was, well... you know.

Anyway, the info was much welcome, especially the data links. While I got that underway,
it occurred to me to look for the movie on DVD, now that it had a name. Turned out
it was available. In fact, it had been released only one day before I found it online,
where the rip had been posted 10 months earlier.

Scully: "How did you get this?"
Skinner: "Unofficial channels."

-Tarbolde

"Thanks, Internet!"

Replies:
Re: Thanks, Internet!
Tricob -- 7/6/2012 11:30 pm UTC
Tarbolde -- 7/8/2012 9:43 am UTC
Tricob -- 7/8/2012 11:29 pm UTC