Miscellaneous Board
Register

Re: GNU / LINUX ANTIVIRUS?

Posted by Danielle on .
What do you want the antivirus to do? If you're worried about programs altering system data, run them in sandboxes or use an immutable file system. If you're worried about malicious scripts on web pages, use a script blocker like uBlock. If you're worried about the distro itself becoming compromised, then it's no less likely that the antivirus would be compromised.

That said, Comodo is free and has a Linux binary. Just be sure that you trust a third party to be constantly scanning every file you download and run. An antivirus program won't work in a sandbox, after all. It only works if you give it permission to access every file on your system and in memory at all times.

In reply to: GNU / LINUX ANTIVIRUS? posted by IlikeFruits on .
Hello there.
Quick question.

if you are a linux user... do you use an antivirus? If so which one would you recommend?
No Kaspersky as they are russian, no McAfee or Norton as... I hate those companies, terrible experiences and no Avast because they were caught selling our data).

(I know most people will say that Linux doesn't need an antivirus, but I really like being precautious, more know than ever that I'm planning to start distro hoping for awhile)

Thanks.

Replies:
IlikeFruits -- 6/21/2024 2:45 am UTC
Danielle -- 6/21/2024 7:34 am UTC