Message Board
Register

Security concerns

Posted by darkcloud806 on .
Good morning, administrators of Vimm’s Lair.

As my description may imply, I am an information security analyst in my day job, and an avid gamer by night. I know having someone versed in the concepts of information security and software piracy might seem a problem; but as I see it, emulation software is regarding games and systems that stretch their copyrights long past the sell point of their software, which means using these games that are no longer being sold is ok in my book.
My concern is for the gamers that download ISOs from Vimm’s Lair. It’s fairly well-known by now that GameCube used code obfuscation as a piracy countermeasure, and a fair amount of reverse-engineering the code had to be done to make ISOs available for consumer download. I’d like to know if Vimm’s Lair performs any kind of screening of the ISOs code before making the images available on Vimm’s Lair. I didn’t see a disclaimer on the website, which needs to be put in place if it hasn’t already. I’d hate for a gamer to download an ISO which has been reprogrammed with an executable that puts their systems in danger. Thanks in advance.