Message Board
Register

Re: Multiple file downloads at once?

Posted by krampus on .
Not sure if there's a terribly user-friendly way. I've been using a shell script I wrote to do it, but out of respect to Vimm's bandwidth I'm not going to post it. But you could write one pretty quick if you're clever.

If you use your browser's inspection tools on a game download page, you can see how the download request POST data is formed. Note that the server will reject requests without appropriate user-agent and referer headers. Looks like games from different platforms are served from different subdomains; Gamecube games are served from download5.vimm.net. Each game is identified with a 4- or 5-digit "mediaId" in the POST. The different discs of multi-disc games each have a different mediaId. For platforms like the Wii where you have multiple file-format options, the selected format is identified by the "alt" field in the POST. A successful response contains the correct filename in the content-disposition header; if you use wget, the '--content-disposition' option will automatically name the file correctly.

If you wanted to download all Gamecube games, you could write a script to scrape the index pages for mediaIds and fetch each one. Or you could just brute-force request each possible mediaId from around 6000 to 6999 (and 13000 to 13999 for multi-disc games). I would not be surprised if the latter option triggers rate-limiting.

In reply to: Multiple file downloads at once? posted by snrdrm on .
Is there a way to batch download a single system's games all at once, such as every Gamecube game at once? I expect not but figured I'd ask anyway, I'm sure others have wondered this as well.