Vimm's Lair: Message Board
Message Board
Register

Re: Is Vimm or someone open to talk about the proj

Posted by nicksm on .
heyy, very cool man. i hope you get to talk with Vimm. that would be a killer paper to write.

In reply to: Is Vimm or someone open to talk about the project? posted by Luiz_Alex007 on .
I checked the messages saying that Vimm is on vacation. Could someone give me an idea of when he is going to be back? Alternatively, if someone else in the project can talk to me, I am currently trying to finish my major on archival and want to present collaborative efforts for digital preservation of games, as well as related material, such as this platform in it. It's going to be a study of how fans preserve games digitally and make it available, preserving the increasingly important and complex products of an ever bigger industry that influences our daily lives to an incredible degree.

I am still checking possible platforms to study and this one appears to be the best one, since it declares to operate since 1997 and I have found no other platform that gives such precise nor old date. Plus, the fact that it explicitly talks about preserving classics, while avoiding current consoles, is going to be really important. I am open to suggestions of other platforms, in case anyone reading this has an idea of other projects. Hell, doesn't even need to be a ROM website, these are just easier to research and then relate to my field of study. I am also going to mention fan remasters, fan servers and emulator projects.

If I can get access to information about Vimm's Lair, such as how the physical and logical objects are stored, as well as the history of the platform, I could even write up about how it stands up to current best practices for long term archival. I have found no other studies proposing this and can show student certification to prove my identity. My email is available in my profile for anyone in the project to contact me. In case I get no response, I will eventually ask again in here and the misc board.

Thank you in advance, Luiz_Alex007