Message Board
Register

Re: GameCube scrubbing problems + missing game

Posted by Vimm on .
The GameCube controller has digital/analog shoulder buttons. When R-Analog is fully pressed the R button can be "clicked". Mario Party 4 is listening for both R buttons (as a real controller would do) so hold the R-Analog button and press the R button.

As stated in the GameCube Vault, every game is verified with Redump then scrubbed with WIT. With Mario Party 4 for example, the scrubbed disc is 289MB while the original is 1.08GB. That's 3.5 times larger! That 719MB of garbage has no affect on gameplay and downloading it is a waste of time, disk, and bandwidth.

In reply to: Re: GameCube scrubbing problems + missing game posted by axl55 on .
Mario Party 4 seems to have a problem: pressing R to view the board map doesn't do anything (using recent versions of Dolphin). I don't know for sure if it's because of the dump and not the emulator, but I didn't find anyone else on the Dolphin forum or buglist mentioning the problem. What I do know is that both GameCube ROMs I've checked (Mario Party 4 and Mario Kart:Double Dash) have the wrong CRC32 and MD5 compared with the list at: www.gametdb.com/Wii

The scrubbing doesn't seem like a good idea in general and makes me nervous about using these ROMs, since it might cause undefined behavior, and you can't tell if it's caused by the dump or the emulator. Or you never know if you might get some random freeze 90% into the game and maybe your save state won't work if you switch it for the clean dump...

Replies:
axl55 -- 3/31/2018 8:30 pm UTC
Vimm -- 4/1/2018 2:55 am UTC