Vimm's Lair: Miscellaneous Board
Miscellaneous Board
Register

Re: Issues while transfering files from F HDD to D

Posted by Danielle on .
Sounds like it might be a SATA controller issue. Have you tried connecting the hard disk to a different SATA port on the motherboard? You might be able to find a port/drive combination that works.

How much RAM do you have? Is your swap file on the C partition like the OS? Do you have enough free space on that partition for the swap file? When you transfer large files from an SSD to a mechanical hard disk, your PC will cache some of the data in RAM first, and if the RAM is full it will switch to the swap file for caching. If it doesn't have enough space in either of those, your computer can freeze or crash as a result. Make sure you have enough RAM and swap space to handle large file transfers between drives.

In reply to: Issues while transfering files from F HDD to D SSD posted by IlikeFruits on .
Hello there.

I have a main 512 GB NVMe with 2 partitions: C for Windows and D for everything else.

Then I added a 512 GB SSD located at E.

I also use a 512 GB HDD located at F through USB 3.0

When I try to transfer files from E to F, the transfer stops at 355kb/s or even 0 bytes, almost about to finish the process and it makes my pc go crazy: storage is not responding, pc doesn't want to restart nor shut down... that problem can persist even if I force a shut down (shouldn't be doing that, fried a laptop couple of weeks ago by doing that)

Only solution so far is to transfer anything first from either D or E to the C, then to F.

But I would like to know what's going on.
Haven't found a clear answer on Google.

Thanks.

Replies:
IlikeFruits -- 2/17/2024 9:15 pm UTC
Danielle -- 2/18/2024 9:46 am UTC