Miscellaneous Board
Register

Re: some questions about Xbox 360 hacks

Posted by Danielle on .
> Is there any way other than JTAG to play downloaded ISOs?

Either JTAG or RGH will allow you to mod the 360 and run whatever you want on it. Unfortunately, there are no softmods that will allow you to play downloaded ISOs. JTAG and RGH both require soldering and a few other components. If you have no experience with electronics and soldering, you should either get a good amount of practice in or find someone else to mod your console for you.

> Is a DVD drive hack worth it?

If all you want to do is play retail games, you hate the idea of doing any kind of electronics work on your 360, and you have a DVD burner as well as enough blank DVDs for the games you want to play, then sure. If you want to do any kind of homebrew or modding, however, flashing the DVD drive isn't going to be enough.

There's also optical drive emulators which trick the console into thinking an external storage device is an optical drive, however from what I can tell nobody is making ODEs for the 360 anymore and they're hard to find and expensive as a result.

> How do I transfer files from USB to the console?

If you have modded your console with JTAG or RGH and you've installed a custom dashboard, then you should have a file manager that allows you to copy files from USB to the internal hard drive. If you haven't modded your console, then you can't.

> Should I replace the hard drive?

If you're not modding the console and the existing drive is working fine, then no. It's very tricky replacing the drive on an unmodded 360. If you've already modded it and want more storage space, then go ahead. If you're thinking of using an SSD, keep in mind that due to hardware bandwidth limits on the 360, SSDs don't offer significant performance improvements over mechanical drives. Also keep in mind that drives larger than 2TB won't work on modded 360s, and drives over 500 GB and SSDs won't work on unmodded 360s.

> Will Vimm ISOs work if transferred to the console?

Yes, provided you have modded your console successfully, you should be able to drop the ISO anywhere and point the modded dashboard to the ISO to play it. If you're using the DVD drive hack method instead, you'll have to burn the ISO to a DVD first.

In reply to: some questions about Xbox 360 hacks posted by Naim on .
Well, I couldn't understand much from overcomplex wikis, and I hate how subreddits remove over asked questions telling you to read the overcomplex wikis. The hacking wikis displayed an overwhelming load of information on me, and I only wanted to make sure I understood correctly. So, I have many questions to ask, and I'll be thankful of any explanations: Is there any way other than JTAG to get copied and downloaded ISOs working on the Xbox? how will a DVD drive hack work and does it worth doing or just use a USB stick method? how do I transfer copied ISO files from USB stick to the console? would getting a salvaged hard drive to work with the console worth hesitating or sticking to the original used one is good enough? finally would ISOs from The Vault here work fine if transferred to the console?