Message Board
Register

Re: Is this a copyright troll or something?

Posted by Danielle on .
It's probably an automated tool, likely using "AI" to assist it.

The ESA represents those corporations. They could have simply asked their members "hey, we got this new automated DMCA takedown tool that uses AI to find infringing content online. Want us to use it to protect your copyright?" and since AI is the new buzzword, the CEOs and shareholders went "yeah, that sounds awesome, go ahead".

In reply to: Is this a copyright troll or something? posted by Tao_1 on .
This seems awfully suspicious. Only games with specific keywords have been struck down. For example, most of the Sonic games, but not Shadow the Hedgehog or Mean Bean Machine. Another example is that a ton of Mario, Pokemon, and other series Nintendo owns are gone but Wario, Kirby, Star Fox and other game series they own or share rights with (like how they own a third of The Pokemon Company) are still up. It seems strange how selective this whole thing is. It might just be a copyright troll but I don't know if its possible to tell or not at this stage. Additionally, why would the ESA specifically go after the Mega Man games? Capcom I could get, but the ESA? Last time I checked, the people who made the ESRB aren't exactly employed by Nintendo, Sega, Sony, Capcom, etc. This all just seems odd.

Replies:
Masonicon -- 6/13/2024 12:45 am UTC
Masonicon -- 6/13/2024 12:55 am UTC
HistoricKombat -- 6/9/2024 1:28 am UTC
Danielle -- 6/9/2024 11:48 pm UTC
Twilit Sunset -- 6/8/2024 7:08 pm UTC
Ohthatthing -- 6/8/2024 10:46 pm UTC
Thatbachus -- 6/20/2024 2:45 am UTC