Message Board
Register

How about using a VPN?

Posted by mad-al on .
So I've been reading some stupid suggestions to solve this software copyright situation like for Vimm to move to another country. I assume to a country that doesn't regulate software copyright laws, which is not a realistic solution kids. In the real world there are workarounds if you know where to look.

If I were hosting content like this I would use a VPN (virtual private network) so that my server’s IP address is masked and pointing to another country, therefore keeping my real IP address (and server location) hidden. This use to be really pricey, but now is fairly affordable. That’s my suggestion.

I was going to bring up maybe switching to a cloud file sharing solution to use offsite servers to store your roms. Something like dropbox.com, sync.com, egnyte.com, etc., but if you’re running your own server already then you’re probably like me (someone who wants physical control of my data). Plus I’m not sure what their policies are for content sharing (like roms), and using a VPN would be a cheaper solution. No moving to third world countries required kids.

"I have served, I will be of service."