Message Board
Register

Re: Probably Shouldn't Namedrop Alternatives

Posted by harryshuman on .
Someone should just upload the entire database to RuTracker. RuTracker existed longer than any western torrent tracker. Nobody could take it down. Not US, not Russian government. It is moderated, and yet open to everyone.

In fact due to the political climate, anything on RuTracker would be in the safest spot ever as there's no way Russian ISPs will act on some silly DMCA request from the adversary countries. Especially not after these same countries literally froze billions in their assets.

I say go for RuTracker.

In reply to: Probably Shouldn't Namedrop Alternatives posted by MrPSOner on .
TL;DR: Lay low and don't namedrop alternative archival sites or sources on this site, or they may get taken down in the future.

The eye of Sauron is on VL right now, and I would expect that legal entities are combing the boards looking for additional domains to include in a mass DMCA takedown, should they go full Hollywood on the emulation scene.

I personally believe that that's the next step since 1) past-gen games are in direct competition with their newest, crappy products, 2) companies always want access control over their IPs, both active and inactive, and 3) videogames and modding/emulation are one of the last bastions of consumer freedom in the digital space, which of course means they must be crushed.

Am I just being paranoid? Maybe, but damn near all industries have had some sort of clamp down or attempt at restricting consumer choice/ownership (just look at the car industry and changes being made there), and I'd rather just play it safe.

Replies:
Jayked03 -- 6/20/2024 7:53 pm UTC
Jayked03 -- 6/23/2024 8:44 pm UTC
Hontou -- 6/21/2024 11:28 pm UTC
Danielle -- 6/22/2024 1:13 pm UTC